Wednesday, September 13, 2006


You 'll Take What You Get When You Can Get It: Week 2 Media Roundup:


This week in print certainly features nothing on the level of Scooby Doo Snacks or foolish pleas for crowd noise. No, the Arizona game is all but forgotten as the Tigers prepare to take on that team in a game which often decides the Western Division. We get it. Alabama must feel like ass right now; all these articles from both team's newspapers are just like, "LSU...Auburn... Teh SEC West!!!1 Oh, yeah, they have to play Alabama later this year, too."

About the only positive thing I can say about Auburn is that I'm glad we play them every year, as it has made both teams decidedly better in the long run. Actually, I can't believe we won there in 1998 (last time we've won at Jordan-Hare (what a fucking Auburn name for a stadium))... I thought that team underachieved in every possible measure during DiNardo's second-to-last year. Still, I'd like to say that we play our best against Auburn, but that would be false.

To the quotes:

"LSU coach Les Miles admitted that trying to fire up his team with a pregame speech, which included references to Arizona players stomping on LSU’s “eye of the Tiger” logo at midfield as they ended warmups, may have contributed to Jackson’s play.

'They may well (be related) and I do take responsibility,' Miles said.

'I take credit (for the hit). But I also have to defend Tyson Jackson and if he says, "Coach, don’t I have to get there fast?" I’ll say yes.' "

- Baton Rouge Advocate & Les Miles, on DE Tyson Jackson's helmet-to-helmet early against Arizona

First of all, Hardness. I mean, you stomped on the eye, you earn a proper comeuppance. Can you imagine Miles trying to fire up the team with this? With anything? Ah, that's another post. Still, my favorite part is 'coach, don't I have to get there fast?' Miles acts like Tyson Jackson has the language skills of a seven-year-old... and I like it. I think most coaches would say yes, but according to EDSBS:

"[Tennessee Defensive Coordinator] John Chavis lamented that the reason Air Force ran for nearly 300 yards on the Vols was that the Vol defenders were too fast."

Agreed.

“I take what I get when I can get it.”

- JaMarcus, on his unusual rushing contributions Saturday

Does JaMarcus ever fail when he decides to run? To do anything? Miles said that he wants JaMarcus to give up the runs a couple yards early to save a hit. I'll agree with that. But I'm doubtful that JR lives his whole life with that philosophy; I feel his facebook doesn't say 'Whatever I can get' for relationship status.

And then a couple hours before, miles to the northeast:

"Oh, when it was about 14-0.”

- Tuberville, on when he started to shift attention to LSU during the Miss. State game

Such a fucking jackass. I'm guessing he starts 90% of his sentences with 'Oh,...' He also told the Birmingham newspaper he started planning for LSU in January. Are we supposed to just lay down at midfield Saturday due to this? Coaches work, Tubs.

As opposed to...

“We’re going to tee it up and let ’em fly.”

- Miles

Like I even had to credit that quote. I'm pretty sure Les Miles had a line in one of the Top Gun deleted scenes, and this was it.

“It’s just strange to me... I don’t understand it. I guess we just got lucky and beat them. I feel like we need to go out and prove ourselves to everybody. Maybe going out and playing well against Auburn... maybe that will make people see a different LSU team. The one I think we have.”

- Will Arnold on lack of LSU respect last season

Now this is what I like to hear before a big game! Please, Will, assume the role of Kyle Williams Tuscaloosa Locker Room Halftime 11/11/05. We'll be down at halftime.

No, no... Will Arnold. Come on!

  • The readout shows a big movement shortly before the 7 p.m. kickoff, likely the LSU band playing pregame fanfare and drawing a huge reaction from the crowd.
  • Another large spike at about 7:08, close to the time when JaMarcus Russell threw a 58-yard touchdown pass to Brandon LaFell for the game’s first score.
  • One more just before 7:15, about the time Jonathan Zenon returned an interception 20 yards for a touchdown.
- Baton Rouge Advocate, on seismographic readings during the ULL game

Well this is kind of disheartening. I might as well change the url to http://russelltolafell.blogspot.com. Who mentions this in the week leading up to the Auburn game? Well, at least Auburn can attempt to have their own Earthquake Game this week, right?

Wrong:

"Auburn
’s geology department doesn’t operate a seismograph."

- Baton Rouge Advocate

Not surprising. At least they run a tight ship with that sociology department, though.

And finally,

"A rare, 6.0 earthquake erupted in the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday that was felt from Louisiana to Florida and called the largest and widest felt quake in the Gulf in 30 years."

- The News Star

Goosebumps all around. Get tough, Tiger fans.

Our namesake.

Check tomorrow for the annual hate piece.


- P.T.



No comments: