Sunday, September 17, 2006

Another Even-Numbered Year, Another Method of Torture: Week 3 Recap:

I'm writing this on a Sunday evening complete with procrastination, less-exciting football, and soreness for an unknown reason. But judging how yesterday went (I spent nine hours at Legends Sports Bar), I'm guessing the soreness was caused by the unnatural contortions I made during the game yesterday. 2006 Auburn will go down next to 2005 Alabama and 2003 Ole Miss as one of the most physically exhausting games I've ever watched on TV. Except we didn't win.

I'm a lot calmer after this painful loss as compared to 2004 (it's almost like the referees meet before these games to figure out which ways they can controversially influence games just to make them memorable). Actually, I was kind of comatose for a few days two years ago. But I'm ready to move on, mostly because I feel as optimistic about our team as I did after Georgia '03.

Call me crazy, but we played well yesterday. That's the hardest thing to stomach, that, and the fact that I'm still not convinced Auburn is better than we are. Miles had the team tremendously ready to play in a hostile environment with three new starters on each line. We completely outshined their lines all game, and no piece of evidence is more convincing than the fact that Muschamp's crazy blitzes never produced a sack. I think there were times when JaMarcus had too much time, actually (something entirely possible with him).

All the JaMarcus haters will come out of the woodwork this week, the same ones that without a doubt go, "Oooooh" when JR throws a fifty-yard dart on his back foot. If you don't understand what Russell both puts on and takes off the table at this point, well, you haven't watched the majority of competitive games from the past two years. He's exceptionally talented (there's no doubt he and Leak are the most gifted quarterbacks in the league), but not always there when the pressure's on (notable exceptions of 2005 Auburn and Alabama, games which he played much better than he's given credit for). He's not the most intelligent quarterback, and I'm being kind here, but Texas was saying the same things about pre-2005 Vince Young. Yes, he should have thrown the ball away with :15 left, and yes, he shouldn't have locked in on Buster on that last play. But I'm never going to understand the arguments for Matthew Flynn.

When in doubt, I'll just hold the ball eight feet above your head

We outgained Auburn. We won the turnover battle. We outsmarted their playcalling save for one drive. Jimbo called a great game (he may have held out hope for a running game a little too long), and Pellini made Muschamp look like the linebackers coach he used to be. Our offensive line played better than I ever expected, and the defensive line played half the game in the backfield (I love Glenn Dorsey). I'm proud to be an LSU fan.

Tyson sends an early reminder that you're not a very good quarterback

Of course none of that really matters. Auburn will win the West, might go undefeated, and quite possibly will be left out of the title picture again (we can only hope). I hate them more than I used to, and this rivalry is showing no signs of becoming less intense. But they're not that good. It seriously is like 2004 all over again. So please, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, 'Bama... figure out some kind of way to let the nation see what I'm seeing.

Some notes from Saturday:

  • Kenny Irons is better than any press he recieves. I hate the team, but I have tremendous respect for his abilities to find seams and break tackles. He looks better at the college level than Carnell and Ronnie Brown ever did. I don't think I've seen an SEC running back like him since Shaun Alexander.
The lone Auburn player I respect
  • Auburn loses the game without Kody "Ninth-Year Senior" Bliss at punter. He reversed the field at least three times in a game that came down to field position. Also, it didn't help having Chevis "uhh...uhhh... fair catch!" Jackson back there.
  • I'm not sure what heaven will be like, but I'm guessing Glenn Dorsey going untouched to the quarterback (twice) has something to do with it.
  • Good work, CBS, telling us about Zenon being injured (being sarcastic). One minute I'm completely comfortable with the defense, next minute I see Daniel Francis looking a Demetrius Hookfin on their scoring drive.
  • Gameballs-- Offense: Craig "Buster" Davis. He did everything he could and brought back shades of '02 Arkansas or '04 Iowa two-minute-drill offenses against a Muschamp prevent defense. Defense: Glenn Dorsey. Primed to continue our recent trend of all-NFL defensive linemen.
Only looks like a deer in the headlights
  • I'm not even going to talk about The Call. Seriously, it's another way for the media to assign a gimmicky name for the game. It's going to be called The No-Call or The Pick-Up Game. Here's some visual evidence, and I rest my case:
Where are we playing? Right...
  • Here's updated list of teams who can make a title run:
1. Ohio State
2. West Virginia
3. USC
4. Auburn
5. Michigan
6. Florida
7. Notre Dame (the media bias can completely erase one loss)

Bottom line for this year's LSU-Auburn contest: it will separate the true fans from those blindly looking for some kind of change. If you're not proud to be an LSU fan right now, I don't want to talk to you. It was hard to stomach yesterday and easier to stomach today for this reason: we have the right personnel in place. Miles can motivate, Fisher and Pellini can match wits with anyone in the conference, the young team can mature for tough road conditions as soon as Week 3. I'm hoping for an at-large bid this year, and I think we can get it. But in 2007, nothing short of the Sugar Bowl is a success in my mind.


- P.T.

No comments: