Saturday, September 02, 2006

Isn't That Ironic About Trindon Holliday or I Guess Jonathan Zenon's Not That Unknown Anymore: Week 1 Recap:

Well, that was one of the better season openings I've seen. Aside from the sputtering rushing game in the first half and the two botched punts, I'm really not complaining much. Here are some quick thoughts:

  • Country Daniels appeared to have done a couple lines in the tunnel. The typically low-key, unheralded free safety did things like vertical-leap practicing after a no-gain tackle and straddling the goalpost pad after letting a stray ball go over his head.
Country, pace yourself. It's a long season.
  • Ryan Perrilloux went 1/1, 10 yards in one minute of work; it was a beautiful ball to the tight end.
  • Trindon Holliday continued the annual track-athlete-who-can't-catch streak to about four years. I mean, he wasn't even close, either. That was an athletic attempt to recover the ball, though. Makes me think back to X-man Carter's debut in Athens two years ago. Hard to believe the guy's mentioned in the same breath as Jesse Owens.
  • Big Daddy/Diesel/Shaq-fu was in the house. We need more Shaq sightings. People never believe me when I tell them Shaq went to LSU. And then I end up explaining that Shaq wore '33' in college, like I did tonight. That was a BA jersey, though, Shaq. Is that K-Mart apparel, as well?
Um, end of the laundry cycle, 'fu?
  • Peter Dyakowski has to be the whitest name on the team. Oh, wait-- Ryan Gaudet.
Eat my peter.
  • The neck protecter of Tyrell Fenroy brought back shades of Ironhead Heyward. I imagine if Brent Musberger were calling the game, he'd use the term 'North-South' to describe him. That dude was deceptively fast, though. I will never use the term 'deceptively fast' again, sorry.
Neck. Protecter.
  • What was up with Alley Broussard? I mean, Jacob Hester is not our second-best running back. Like, white running backs just don't work in the SEC. I'm sure Jacob's a terrific athlete. But I end up making fun of him and Jason Spadoni nearly every time they take the field. I'm really glad to have thos racial subtleties like "old-school running back" and "deceptively fast" back in my life. Shit. Alley Cat tore it up, though. He always ran with a "full head of steam" and nearly equaled the 22 yards of first-half rushing on one play.
  • Jonathan Zenon and JaMarcus were everybody's MVPs at the end of the night. Zenon had two picks and a touchdown, JaMarcus had another really efficient passing night and had excellent balls. Yeah, I said it. Stop telling me that you think Matt Flynn is a better quarterback, random LSU fans.
I really need to get the 'z' key on my laptop fixed at some point this season.
  • Shoal Creek Saloon is my new favorite bar in Austin.
More tomorrow. Pace it.


- P.T.

No comments: