Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Scooby Doo Snacks Might Be This Season's Downfall: Week 1 Media Roundup:

This will become a weekly occurence here at HTF, a smorgasbord of blurbs from players, coaches, columnists, and media in general looking back on the previous week.

Week 1 saw hiccups in the first-team running game and punt returning game, but not much else, as the Tigers rolled over UL 45-3. Here's what people are saying:

"That was like I had drunk 20 Red Bulls at one time... "
- Alley "Cat" Broussard, on his second-half resurgence

Alley, the caloric intake of 20 Red Bulls does not fit in with your Glen "Big Baby" Davis diet. To wit:

"He used to be my neighbor. I used to go over at night and steal food from him.”
- Broussard, on living next to Baby

Um, is every athlete a neighbor, cousin, or both with every other athlete at LSU? It's like everyday I read that Ricky Jean-Francois and Chris Jackson played Hustle together back in 5th grade. I cannot get enough of it. Wait, Alley is nowhere near done.

“Now it’s time for football, lay low on the snacks and stuff...Scooby Doo snacks. I was in Wal-Mart (Sunday) and I got a big twin box of Scooby snacks. I just looked at it and said, ‘no,’ and I put it back on the shelf. I went to the other side to get some Lean Cuisine.”

I just remember the days when a torn ACL was the potential derailment of your running game. Alley's listed at 248 right now. Big Baby is 40 pounds heavier! What's their height differential again?

“We had a hard time getting the calls on the field. We weren’t really playing our real defense. It was hard to hear out there. You couldn’t hear at all. And they were playing at a fast tempo. When we were trying to substitute our personnel, we were having a hard time figuring out what we wanted to run.”
- Zenon on his pick-six

Uh, John, I'll pretend I didn't hear that. I know it was in the South endzone, but, really, you couldn't hear anything? Seriously? How many UL fans were there, 4000? BRING ON AUBURN.

Also, guess who's Zenon's cousin... Country Daniels! It never fails. I guess I overestimated Breaux Bridge.

"He got a good, deep butt bruise... got a shot in the behind area."
- Miles, on pretty much anybody

Come on, I'm a college student here. But seriously, didn't this happen to Miami?

"Let's go. Let's get this engine going."
- Broussard, to teammates before 2nd half

I'd say there's an 85% chance my fantasy team name is now LetsGetThisEngineGoing. 'Cat can say anything and make it sound profoundly cool.

"Everyone makes a big deal out of all the noise, but what can they do to you? Huh? I mean, they can't eat you, can they? So they make a bunch of noise and throw stuff at you and flip you off and all that stuff. To me, that's nothing. That's football."
- Mike Stoops, on Tiger Stadium

Thanks, Mike! If all 92,300 fans had a locker room (and I can think of no better place than along Nicholson), this would be taped up all over the place. Get tough, Tiger fans. Game's at 5:30, the sober man's 7:00. I think we'll be alright.

Look for some kind of Arizona preview in the next couple days. Oh, yeah, about that season preview...


P.T.

No comments: