Monday, September 11, 2006

Ron Franklin Would Give Any of His Daughter's Hands to Jacob Hester: Week 2 Recap:

Well I was off. I spent most of the day tailgating in Austin outside DKR Memorial with Bubes assigned as Official Text-Messaging Updater for the afternoon. After 6:00 and 2/3 a fifth of Evan, it turned into "Bubes is texting me... must be another touchdown!" Unbelievable.

I got home exhausted at midnight and all SportsCenter would show was Zenon's INT for touchdown. Or is it pronounced Zeno? Zenin? I've heard all of them; I've also heard Jon say that he prefers the 'Zenon' pronunciation because it sounds cooler. (Nodding head). Oh, by the way, go fuck yourself, ESPN. This will be one of the more frustrating weeks as an LSU or SEC fan, as ESPN will barely acknowledge two season-changing SEC games within hours of each other, while they try to shift all attention to their sister network's primetime 'game of the week': Nebraska at USC. It's getting worse over at Disney.

I had a feeling The Deuce would replay the game at 2 AM, and that proved true. So, still paced with exhaustion, lack of food, and a day hangover (I actually had cottonmouth the next day... football. season.) I prepared to stay up till 4 to give a bona fide recap for you guys.

  • I still think 'Cat Broussard is the best back we have, and I'm sure 90% of the non-racist LSU fans would agree, but I'm mesmerized by the gut every time I see him in live action or pictures. I immediately phase out as a football fan. The man ballooned to over 260 lbs they said! Everything's fine until that slow step here and there cost us a close one. And it's all because of his proximity to Big Baby's pantry-- nice going, Housing Services.
More intriguing than Miles' white hat
  • That being said, Jacob Hester looked like the best player on the field at points Saturday evening, earning game MVP honors and a cornucopia of subtly-racist darts from Ron Franklin and Ed Cunningham (a pretty solid commentary, actually). You heard every possible "you look at a guy like Hester... you don't think he can run that fast!" variation from the two, while Alley's built more like a fullback now. They said that even Hester had racially-driven predispositions before he realized he could contribute to the team, which I'm doubtful of. Either way, they were giddy as schoolgirls when talking about Junckie's Favorite Running Back.
Be mindful of Junckie's heart condition, Jake
  • I can't remember a time when the team looked so efficient, cool, and in-synch. Actually, it was Dec 30 of last season, but still. Not very often you can get back to last year's momentum and skill by game two. Save me the ironies when I reread this next Sunday, all you readers. I couldn't and can't get enough of those semi-Hollywood shots where they pan over the team mid-third quarter and show everyone (except Perrilloux, who's simply filling the cliche now) joking and hi-fiving. I think I even saw Gaudet and Tyson Jackson make plans to hit up Argosy later that night. JaMarcus has really grown into a leader, and on a Les Miles team, a leader is someone who just smiles all the time, acts cool, and taps as many people on the shoulderpads as he can. I'll bite. I'm in love with him (JaMarcus).
JaMarcus: Best SEC Quarterback Wearing #2 Since Tim Couch
  • We're hitting harder than I've ever seen, including 2003. Always a good sign heading into The Third Week of the Season.
  • Biggest surprise for me, discounting Hester, was Darry Beckwith. Dude looks like a veritable Trev' Faulk out there. He looked loose, competent, and prepared, and even did the act-pissed-because-you-missed-out-on-pacing-someone-by-one-second gesture when other Tigers beat him out for a tackle.
Shades of Joe Wesley '96
  • I will now reset the Chevis Jackson Alertness Level to yellow. He fielded punts, which is pretty much all you can ask from him right now, but is about 30% as skilled as Skyler when it comes to finding seams. If we fair catch every ball cleanly next week, consider me satisfied.
  • We took that home-and-home by a combined score of 104-16. Special thanks to Bubes for tolerating my genuine worry before each game.
Hollywood quelled any worry in Phelps 314
  • Am I ever going to find out the extent of Dwayne Bowe's vision disability last year? At first it was 'he just wasn't seeing the ball very well.' Now it's 'he was actually legally blind before Lasik surgery last year.' Um, what? Our receivers and their eyes-- Buster Davis looks like a deer in the headlights most of the time. (Still, I trust no one more with catching clutch passes).
Craig "Buster" Davis
  • [That whole streak about the defense, quarters, and touchdowns allowed.] I will not mention it.
I'll be sure to post the annual venom-sprayed hate piece just in time for this week's foe to the northeast. It may contain the words cigar, campus fire, and Gaudet more than a few times. I'm still not over 2004, and I'm sure they feel the same about last year. (What am I saying? These people don't have feelings.) Regardless, I'm not optimistic.



Good day!

P.T.

2 comments:

Will said...

You should always refer to Disney as "Mother Mouse Ears," ala Randy Galloway. One of the few instances where you can be cool and gay simultaneously.

Pace it.

Will

Tank said...

Junckie. Reference.

http://aintnobankrobbery.blogspot.com